Yea yea yea, truffle oil is so 2010. But I don’t care. I’m bringing it back, if only for this Truffle “Parmesan” Popcorn, which makes every movie night infinitely better or serves as a 5-minute party snack for last minute guests.
Inspired by my favorite snack at one of my favorite Bay Area bars, the Farley Bar at Cavallo Point, I have modified the original for a healthyish, yet indulgent-seeming snack. By using nutritional yeast, a cheesy-tasting vegan seasoning, rather than parm, this popcorn becomes a guilt-free treat (that is, when I manage not to eat the whole bowl).
This recipe comes together in 5 minutes, but the key is to have everything prepped and ready to go so that you can mix the ingredients while the popcorn is still nice and hot. Nutritional yeast doesn’t melt like actual cheese, so I find that the heat from the freshly popped popcorn makes the seasoning stick better, without adding extra oil.
And if you weren’t already convinced, here’s a fun, yet little known fact: popcorn pairs well with crisp white wine or sparkling. More reason to serve at your next party.
Truffle Parmesan Popcorn
I make this 5-minute truffle parmesan popcorn with nutritional yeast for a healthyish, vegan snack, but sub with real parm for a bit more decadence. Easy enough for movie night, but fancy enough to impress your guests.
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp truffle oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast Feel free to sub for real parmesan for a more decadent snack. The larger shavings are better, but you will definitely need more cheese.
- salt to taste
- handful fresh parsley, chopped I use about 1 tsp of dried parsley when I don't have fresh on hand - still good!
Using a medium saucepan with a lid, heat the coconut oil at high heat. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so it will be heated when it is completely liquid.
To test when the coconut oil is hot enough, drop 4-5 popcorn kernels into the oil and put the lid on. When the kernels pop, add the rest of the popcorn to the pot and quickly put on the lid.
Once the pops slow to every few seconds, you are done popping. Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl with a lid and quickly add the oil, nutritional yeast, and salt. Put on the lid and shake to combine. Do this step quickly, and then leave the lid on for 30 seconds - 1 minute, to allow the popcorn to retain some heat and better incorporate the nutritional yeast.
Take off the lid, add additional seasoning to taste, and add the fresh parsley.
This popcorn could serve 4 as a light snack, and will happily serve 2 for movie night.
- Nutritional yeast can be found at most grocery stores, or is available on Amazon.
- Truffle oil is hit or miss at grocery stores, so I usually stock up on Amazon. Alternatively, you could use truffle salt as a slightly less taboo way to incorporate truffle into your life - I'm planning on trying this once my oil stash is depleted.
- Feel free to use an air-popper or unseasoned microwave popcorn instead of the stovetop popping method.
Fun fact: popcorn pairs well with white wine and sparkling. More reason to serve at your next party.