Otherwise known as Summer on a Plate. It’s my must-serve dish for summer entertaining, because it’s flavorful, a bit unexpected, effortlessly pretty, and impossible to mess up. Essentially, it’s a no-fail side dish for any summer get together.
Toss raw zucchini ribbons and charred corn with herbs and greens, goat cheese, jalapeño, and toasted nuts for crunch. Top with cilantro mint vinaigrette (yes, another cilantro mint concoction – can’t get enough). Done.
I like to serve this salad with something grilled (like my favorite grilled steak or salmon) so that I can cook up an entree while I get the corn ready. No grill? No problem. Just use raw corn when in season.
Shaved Zucchini and Grilled Corn Salad
This zucchini and corn salad is summer on a plate! Effortlessly pretty and easy to throw together, this bold salad is my go-to for summer entertaining.
For the salad
- 1 ear corn, husks removed
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced on mandoline or with a vegetable peeler I used 1/2 zucchini and 1/2 yellow squash for added color, but a single zucchini will do the trick
- handful mint leaves
- handful cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- aleppo or crushed pepper, for serving (optional)
For the cilantro mint vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup mint
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- pinch crushed red pepper (optional)
Preheat the grill to medium, and place the corn directly over the grates. Grill for about 15 minutes, or until the corn is slightly charred. Allow the corn to cool and slice the corn to remove kernels from the cob.
Prepare the vinaigrette by adding all ingredients to a high speed blender and blending to incorporate. Adjust to taste. I often add more lemon juice.
To assemble the salad, combine the arugula, shaved zucchini and herbs. Top with the corn kernels, goat cheese, jalapeños, and hazelnuts.
Drizzle with the cilantro mint vinaigrette, and top with aleppo or crushed pepper if using.